Third edition changes
Jin Yong revised and published the third edition of Demi-Gods, Semi-Devils in 2005. Here are the most significant changes.
- Ye Erniang, the second evil, does not kill the babies herself. After toying with the babies, she just leaves them at the houses of strangers. The parents of the missing children are in distraught not knowing if their children are alive or not.
- Qingcheng School and Qin Family Bandits will become banner men of the Murong family. Bao Butong gave them a choice, you can either enter our service and we will help you locate the killers of your father and/or martial arts brother and you will obey our commands. Wang Yuyan added a bonus she said that she will tell them the missing martial arts of their schools. Of course both Qingchen and Qin family Bandits accepted.
- It is revealed the Beggar’s elder who disguised himself as Wang Jiantong, to fool the Khitans was saved by Xiao Feng. It was also Xiao Feng who ordered the assassination on the field marshal of the Khitans, elder Chen was the man who carried the job. This showed that Xiao Feng was both courageous, brave but also great planner. A fabulous leader of the Beggar’s Association.
- On his way to see reverend Zhiguang, Xiao Feng and A Zhu meet five old men. These five old men want to test Xiao Feng’s palm technique, especially the 28 Dragon Subduing Palms. These five old men are abbot Xuanci and four other Xuan generation monks. Abbot Xuanci examined the body of reverend Xuanku and felt that he was killed by a very raw, yang palm attack. But abbot Xuanci had his suspicions because he believed that Xiao Feng is not ruthless man. So, he and 4 other martial arts brothers went in incognito to investigate the murders of Grandfather Tan, Granny Tan, Zhaoqian Sunli, elder Xu, Chan Family. Finally, abbot Xuanci was about to test Xiao Feng. He used a palm attack of the Prana palms, but at the moment two energies were to collide. Xuanci retracted his energy, Xiao Feng was confused. He did not understand the intention of this old man, was it a trick to fool Xiao Feng in retracting too but at the last minute the old man would attack. But if Xiao Feng did not retract he could kill the old man. Xiao Feng gambled and thought the old man would not trick him, if these five old men had ill intentions they could have combined their forces and attacked simultaneously. Xiao Feng realised if the five of them attacked at once, he would be killed. So, Xiao retracted his palm attack too. And that moment, abbot Xuanci realised that Xiao Feng was innocent. However, at that moment he did not reveal his true identity yet.
- Reverend Zhiguang revealed to Xiao Feng who is father was. Xiao Yuanshan was the drill inspector of the Khitan imperial guards. He was also a clansman of the Liao empress dowager. Because of his incredible martial arts both the emperor and the empress dowager had respect for him, although Xiao Yuanshan did not fill any important post in the empire but his words carried a lot of weight because of his good relationship with the empress dowager and emperor. He was proponent of the peace between the Song and Liao empires. That is why Murong Bo wanted him dead. By the way, Xiao Yuanshan did speak a little Chinese, but those Chinese martial artists did not understand him because Xiao had a very heavy Khitan accent.
Even, abbot Xuanci, Wang Jiantong and Zhiguang had heard of the name Xiao Yuanshan and respected him for being a fighter for peace. They were very worried and sad when they realised they had accidentally killed him and they feared retaliation of the Liao empire. Fortunately, that did not happen.
- Like the previous edition Madame Ma and Duan Zhengchun were flirting and talking nonsense. However, now Xiao Yuanshan does not appear. Instead Xiao Feng does what his father did in the previous editions, the lovers of Duan Zhengchun’s acupoints were sealed (like the previous editions), but now the elders of the Beggar’s Association and branch leaders were also there and Xiao Feng sealed their acupoints.
They heard Bai Shijing’s confession and Xiao Feng unsealed their acupoints, Madame Ma and Bai Shijing confessed their affair…….Plus Madame Ma revealed she had it off with elder Xu as well. And then everyone realised why elder Xu was so pro Madame Ma and anti Qiao Feng earlier. Bai Shijing was executed by the Merits Awarding Elder, Xiao Feng stormed and quickly saved Madame Ma. Because he still needed to know who the [Big Brother] was. Madame Ma, ultimately, has the same fate in the past. By the way it was Quan Quanqing who stole the fan of Xiao Feng, not elder Chen anymore.
- Madame Ma wanted Bai Shijing to revolt against Xiao Feng, Bai Shijing refused. (Like edition 2). She then went to look for help at Quan Guanqing, she slept with him for three nights and he immediately did everything she wanted.
However, she realised that Quan Guanqing alone might not be enough, so she went to elder Xu. According to her, it was elder Xu who made a pass at her. She didn't decline and started an affair with him. In the end, Bai Shijing and Xu Chongxiao found that they shared the same lover, both wanted to kill each other. Bai Shijing struck first and killed Xu Chongxiao with a stone mace. The Beggar's Association assumed that it was Qiao Feng.
When Madame Ma confessed the whole thing (affairs with Bai Shijing and Xu Chongxiao), the elders decided that the best thing was to keep this under their hats and let Xiao Feng remain the scapegoat for all the crimes. If words got out that this slut was not only responsible for the death of the vice-leader of the Beggar's Association, but also she started an affair with the elder Xu and was partly responsible for his death, on top of that she started an snowball effect that resulted in the Beggar's Association to disown one of their greatest leaders in history and now the elders are executing their own Rule Execution elder. All because of this bitch. If this secret were leaked out to wulin about this the reputation of the Beggar's Association would be tarnished for good. So, better blame Xiao Feng - a decision which Wu Changfeng hated.
- Wuya Zi was first in love with Tianshan Tonglao, however when he found out that she could not become normal again (after Li Qiushui’s yell). He broke up with her and fell in love with Li Qiushui. Tonglao was distraught and hated Li Qiushui. Wuya Zi fell in love with the jade statue, Li Qiushui started an affair with Ding Chunqiu. But she never loved Ding, when Wuya Zi found out Li Qiushui and Ding Chunqiu ambushed Wuya Zi and he fell off the cliff. Li Qiushui , Ding Chunqiu and her daughter (fathered by Wuya Zi), the later Madame Wang left with the martial arts manuals. Later on, Li Qiushui grew tired of Ding and left him the Xiao Wu Xianggong manual and she left to Xixia. She also told her daughter to call Ding Chunqiu [father]. Later on, because the daughter of Li Qiushui married into the Wang family, and the Wang family were the in-laws of the Murong family. But the Murong family knew that Ding Chunqiu was somehow related to their in-laws and knew a bit of the affair between Ding and his own [Shi Mu]. As consequence, the Murong family looked a bit down upon Madame Wang and her mother and wanted nothing to do with Ding Chunqiu. However, Murong Bo remained politically polite therefore he could enter the Wang family martial arts library.
- A Zi fled from her teacher Ding Chunqiu because of two reasons. The most important one was that she was afraid of her teacher now. A Zhi was growing up and turned into a pretty lady, Ding Chunqiu looked at her with a funny look in his eyes. Furthermore, he would sometimes caress her face and touch her breasts. She knew that she had to leave this place very soon. And she stole the “shen mu wang ding.”
- Jiumozhi accidentally entered the Wang Manion when he was trying to capture Duan Yu again, Duan Yu escaped with A Bi and A Zhu. He overheard Ding Chunqiu and Madame Wang talking, it seems that Ding Chunqiu left the 8 volumes of Xiao Wu Xiang Gong at the Wang mansion, because he did not trust his Xingshu disciples. But Ding Chunqiu could not successfully master Xiao Wu Xiang Gong, he took one manual and left for Xingshu again. Jiumozhi stole the other 7 volumes and mastered Xiao Wu Xiang Gong.
- Tonglao’s martial art’s name has changed. The reason for that is that the previous had a Buddhist background, but the martial arts itself had not Buddhist connection at all. Therefore, the name has been changed. Also this type of martial arts can preserve one’s looks and youth. Because Tonglao was in love with Wuya Zi, she told him some of the youth preserving methods and after he was married to Li Qiushui he revealed those secrets to her as well. Ding Chunqiu on the other hand knew just a little bit, but enough to make him very suave for his age, but he wanted to know the entire thing. The name is Tian Chang Di Jiu Chang Chun Bu Lao Gong, the name itself is lame but it does contain the characteristics of this art. Ding used poison, toxins to preserve his looks but in the recent years this was not working too well anymore.
-You Tanzhi studied yoga, true. A Zhu stole a Sanskrit copy of Yijin manual. The back story is, in the past an Indian Buddhist monk came to China. He took with him several scriptures and blank manuals to write scriptures down. Unknown to him was that a blank manual of his had a secret powerful hidden Yoga technique used by ancient Sanskrit meditators with invisible ink, he later on copied down the Sanskrit Yijin jing on that blank manual. However, Yijin jing was not lost, Shaolin monks always had the Chinese translation of it and did not think the lost of a Sanskrit copy was that important.
- The part of the two Indian Buddhist monks has been cut, abbot Shenshan of the Qingliang monastery is there to demand explanation why Shaolin has not done a thing about Qiao Feng. Eder Xu is a martial arts brother of abbot Shenshan.
- Abbot Xuanci asked Xiao Feng to enter the Shaolin Monastery and told him that he and 4 other monks were in fact those 5 mysterious old men. Abbot Xuanci confessed to Xiao Feng that he was the [big brother], and he told Xiao Feng that if he wanted to avenge his parents he will not fight back and the Xuan generation monks were not allowed to retaliate. Xiao Feng said that he needed time to find who the real killer was of the his adopted parents and teacher and also the name of the messenger that lead to the massacre of Yanmen Pass. Abbot Xuanci nodded and said that Xiao Feng was welcome to take his life any time, he also told Xiao Feng to leave at the rear entrance of the monastery. He and the other Shaolin monks will block and/or explain to the heroes. But Xiao Feng refused this.
- The Xixia princess is revealed to be the granddaughter of Li Qiushui.
- After Xiao Feng was rescued, the Beggar’s Association wanted him back as leader. But he declined, Xiao Feng thought of way. He wanted Xuzhu to learn the Dog Beating stick and the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms, when the Beggars Association would find a suitable leader that person could learn these 2 skills from Xuzhu.
Xiao Feng added that the last 10 stances of the 28 Dragon Subduing Palms were redundant, they were in fact repetitions, variations of the 18 previous palms. If the practitioner understands the essence of the Dragon Subduing Palms there is no need for the last 10 palms at all. He and Xuzhu sort of filtered out the good parts of the last 10 redundant stances and integrated those good parts into the earlier 18 palms.
Many years later, a unnamed young beggar who rose in the ranks of the Beggar’s Association was appointed by the elders to seek out Xuzhu. Xuzhu tested that young beggar and deemed him worthy and taught him the Dog Beating Stick and the 18 Dragon Subduing Palms.
- Murong Bo gave Jiumozhi all the 72 Shaolin arts as a way to repay him for teaching him "Huo Yan Dao." If Jiumozhi could bring Murong Bo the 6 Meridian Sword Manual, Jiumozhi could copy down another 50 other martial arts manuals (of different schools, I think) in the Murong library.
- Murong Bo underestimated reverend Xuanbei and the power of the Weituo Staff, that is what the novel said. And when they came to blows because he underestimated Xuanbei he was immediately a bit overwhelmed and quickly used his Shifting North Star Technique to reflect that blow, killing reverend Xuanbei.
- As for the love life of Duan Yu, nothing too interesting. The Xixia princess saw that Duan Yu was looking quite sad and offered a caring companion for him in the form of the palace maid. The 4 sword girls were a gift too, but those girls married the sons of the 3 Ministers. It was only said in the end that Mu Wanqing later on became the Imperial Consort, Zhong Ling became Consort Xian and the palace maid Consort Shu. One of them was the mother of Duan Zhengxing (the father of Duan Zhixing/reverend Yideng), but it was unclear which one. As for Wang Yuyan, she could not learn the method to preserve her youth. Because the only persons who knew the skill were all dead (Tonglao, Wuya Zi and Li Qiushui). She just went back to her mad cousin.
- A sloppy error was: Is the wife of Murong Bo (mother of Murong Fu) alive or not? When Wang Yuyan was pleading to her mother to help Murong Fu in the earlier chapters, it was said that Madame Murong had passed away. But in the chapters covering the Shaolin melee, it was implied that Madame Murong was still alive.